Nombre total de pages vues

lundi 2 avril 2012

IF CONDITIONALS

We use If + Present Simple + Present Simple to talk about things that are always true. We call this Zero conditional.

- If you don't eat, you get sick.

- If you visit New York, look out for the Statue of Liberty.

- If you smoke again, you die.

- If you heat ice, it melts.

We use If + Present simple + Will to talk about real possibilities.
We can use other conditional tools instead of "if" like unless (if not), as soon as and when.
- If he comes today, I will tell him.
- Unless it rains, I will visit you.
- I will do it as soon as I get home.

- When I have some sleep I will help you with the boxes.
We can also use other modal verbs instead of "will" like won't (will not), can, should and must.
- If it snows, people won't go out.
- If she stays here, she should show some respect.
- If you go to France, you must have your passport.
We use If + Past Simple + Would to talk about things that are unreal or to describe an imaginary situation.
- If I had a bike, I would go with you guys.
- If we worked hard, we'd get good marks.
With the verb "Be" and the subject "I", we can use "If I were" or "If I was".
- If I were you, I would do my best to keep them safe.
- If I was you, I wouldn't go to school again.
We can use could or might instead of "would" in the result clause.
- If I met him, we might be able to fight.
- If we met, I could show you my new house.
We use If + Past perfect + Would have + Past participle to talk hypothetically about things that went unreal and had imaginary results.
- If I had kept that job, I wouldn't have spent some time with my family.
- If I hadn't come to Italy, I wouldn't have met you, baby !
- If I had finished my report yesterday, I wouldn't have been here today.
We can use might have or could have instead of "would have", if we want to indicate possibility.
- If Emily had studied harder, she might have passed all her exams.
- If I had seen her, I could have asked her out.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire